Have you ever heard this term? Learn all about the timeless approach to kitchens as living spaces. From historic houses to the latest DeVol showroom, the “unkitchen” might be the design concept that speaks to your heart.
For some of us, it’s a tough sell, going without a lot of upper cabinets for kitchen storage. It may seem new or avant-garde even, but the new unkitchen actually far more of a throwback to decades if not centuries ago.
Here is a litany of common objections
- generally has very few if any upper cabinets that go over a counter.
- might not having any built-in cabinets at all.
- There may or may not be open shelves. I realize that some people abhor open shelves. You do not have to have them!
- There is often artwork and sometimes there’s even a little lounge seating.
- Sometimes, there’s more of a work table which might be an antique. But, this is not a requirement.
- Often includes a separate pantry.
The English and maybe others call this an unfitted kitchen.
It is a little more like a living room.
It does not look like what we expect to see, with dozens of upper cabinets over counters lining the perimeter of the kitchen with a huge island in the middle. The cabinets are usually painted either in white or earthy colors.